This recipe is based on the North African poached egg dish, but with added sausages and beans – it makes a great breakfast, brunch or dinner.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 6 sausages (cut into chunks)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 4 garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 green pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 courgette (halved and sliced)
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin cannellini beans (drained)
- Handful of fresh coriander (roughly chopped)
- 2 tsp dried Parsley
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- Dash of cayenne
- 4 Eggs
Heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish, on the hob. Fry the onion for several minutes on a medium heat, until softening.
Add the sausages and cook for about 5 minutes turning occasionally, until browning.
Add the rest of the ingredients, except the eggs, to the dish. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes.
Bring a separate pan of water to the boil, carefully crack in the eggs, and poach for 3.5 minutes.
Serve the shakshuka topped with the eggs.