This is a vegan version of a moroccan spiced soup. It can be eaten all year, but to me it feels like a winter dish.
Serve with toasted sourdough.
- Olive oil
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 4 carrots (quartered and sliced)
- 2 sticks of celery (sliced)
- 1 red pepper (cut into small pieces)
- 400g pumpkin or squash (cut into 1cm cubes)
- 1 can of mixed beans (drained)
- 2 handfuls of lentils
- 620g pasata
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1L hot water
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- Handful of chopped dates (finely chopped)
- 2 handfuls of orzo
Heat a little oil in a large pan. Add the onions and garlic and fry for several minutes, to soften.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan, except the orzo and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes, until the veg are soft.
Add the orzo and continue to simmer until the pasta is cooked.