This is great served with chunks of sourdough bread. I have been making this to take to work, for my lunches.
The eggs are optional. My wife hates Aubergine, so a great alternative is a small squash or pumpkin.
- Olive oil
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 2 peppers (red and yellow. De-seeded and cut into chunks)
- 2 courgettes (trimmed and cut into chunks)
- 1 aubergine(trimmed and cut into chunks)
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 4 Garlic cloves (finely sliced)
- 2 teaspoons of dried basil
- A large sprig of thyme (finely chopped)
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 2 eggs (optional)
Stick the onion, peppers, courgette and Aubergine into a casserole dish. Drizzle with olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Roast at 200 degrees for 30-40 minutes, tossing occasionally, until browning well on the edges.
Meanwhile put the rest of the ingredients into a pan, bring to a boil and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick, around 15-20 minutes.
Remove the veg from the oven and stir in the tomato sauce. Make 2 wells in the veg and crack in your eggs (if using).
Place back in the oven and cook for around 15 – 20 minutes.