Based on the delicious hairy bikers recipe, from the BBC. Better than any take away!
- 1 can of pineapple chunks (drained, but keep the juice)
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 150ml water
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into chunks)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 red pepper (De-seeded and chopped)
- 1 green pepper (De-seeded and chopped)
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled and finely grated)
- Thumb sized piece of root ginger (peeled and grated)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Put the cornflour into a bowl and add 3 tablespoons of pineapple juice. Mix to a paste.
Add the rest of the juice, water, soy, vinegar, sugar, ketchup and chilli. Mix well.
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion, carrots and pepper for a few minutes.
Add the chicken, pineapple, garlic and ginger and stir fry for a few minutes.
Stir the cornflour/pineapple mix and add it to the pan. Season well and bring to a simmer.
Cook for 5 – 10 minute, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is thick and sticky.
Serve with rice and prawn crackers